Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant

Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant
20 Havelock Road
#01-04 Central Square

18 Raffles Quay
#01-84 Lau Pa Sat


104 Amoy Street


http://www.annalakshmi.com.sg/


South Indian Food, Culture, And Social Causes

(Ratings: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 = Worst and 10 = Best)
Overall: 8
Ambience & Setting: 6
Food & Beverage: 7
Service: 9
Value for Money: 10
Spent about SGD $10 per person.


.....


"Eat what you like, Give as you feel. We believe you, We trust you."

There was a period of time in my life when my finances were really low... And I was barely making ends meet. Any money I managed to save could help meet my daily expenses. It was during this extremely low period of my life that I first came across Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant.

Years ago, Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant had an outlet at Lau Pa Sat (18 Raffles Quay, Stall #01-84). This was where I first chanced upon Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant, and their motto "Eat what you like, Give as you feel. We believe you, We trust you." intrigued me.

I ate here several times, each time paying only what I could afford (a small amount of cash), and I made a promise to repay them in future. Of course, I kept that promise months later when my finances started to pick up... But till today, I remember the kindness of the volunteers at that small stall, who accepted whatever small amount I paid happily, without judgement or scepticism. Nowadays, whenever I visit Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant, I always pay more, knowing that my donation will go towards helping others.


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant - Dosa Deli @ Lau Pa Sat 18 Raffles Quay #01-84


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant - Motto: "Eat what you like, Give as you feel. We believe you, We trust you."



Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant is an Indian vegetarian dining establishment, a culinary offshoot of the Temple Of Fine Arts (Singapore). Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant doesn't look like your typical restaurant... From the outside at least. But once you step though the heavy ornate main doors, you'll find a neat, well laid out dining hall, resembling a fine dining establishment.

Cultural and religious artifacts adorn every wall and corner of Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant. While the decor is beautiful and fitting, my only complaint would be the strong smell of incense, which might be off-putting to some.

More surprisingly, Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant is not a typical business, but a social enterprise focused on service with love. All the staff I've met are volunteers, from the waiters to the chefs. None of them work here to make a living, rather they do so out of selfless service. As a result, the service at Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant could easily rival those at a fine dining establishment. Excellent... Friendly and efficient!

Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant 01


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant 02


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant 03


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant 04


Annalakshmi Janatha Restaurant 05



Food on the menu is simple, home-cooked vegetarian Indian (North Indian & South Indian) fare... Also prepared by volunteer chefs. Generally, the food is quite good, above average fare, but not fantastic. It's quite authentic though, very similar to what I've eaten in India. A small daily buffet spread is available, as well as an ala-carte menu.

Prices are dependent on your own goodwill, as stated by their motto. Unless you're desperately in need / a needy person, try not to give anything less than SGD $5 per person.

Aloo Gobi


Puri


Bhindi Masala


Chapati






.....


CONVERSATION